Last updated August 13th 2020
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect personal information, such as contact information, campus and course details, or address information, in order to provide you with the product and/or service requested.
We collect personal information and other information when you access and/or submit personal information on one of our web sites or interact with us at an event. You are not required to provide personal information; however, in order to use certain services, we may need to collect certain personal information for that service to function properly (e.g., to finalize your purchase) or for us to provide you with requested information.
Depending on the service or transaction, the personal information we collect includes information from the following categories:
- Name and white page information
- On our consumer web sites, we collect your name and contact information when you create an account or purchase a product on our online store. We also collect your email address.
- Payment card industry data such as credit card number, billing address, etc.
- If you make an online purchase from us, in addition to your name, we collect payment information through a third party website, which includes billing and shipping addresses and credit card data to process your transaction.
- If you choose to communicate with or receive communications from BVT via phone, email, or any other platform for technical support, customer service, or other assistance, those interactions may be recorded and monitored to deliver the service or information requested by you.
- Third Party Marketing Lists
- BVT Publishing also purchases marketing lists from various providers.
We automatically collect computer metadata and content to provide, improve, and maintain our products and services.
Third parties also collect information automatically from you across websites and over time through the use of their own cookies, web beacons, and tracking mechanisms. This information is used to enable the functions of the site, as well as customize, maintain, and improve our web sites. You may disable cookies via your browser or third party mechanisms. However, some features of our services may not function properly without them. Third party cookies we use include: Google Analytics and Freshdesk
You can change your Web browser's Internet preferences to disable or delete cookies, although that may affect certain functions on this site. To learn how to manage your cookies, please follow the instructions for your specific browser.
Do we use your personal information to market to you?
Where we are permitted by law to do so, we will send electronic marketing communications to you as a customer, depending on your location, however you always have the option to change your marketing preferences.
Depending on your location, where legally permissible, BVT uses your personal information to provide you with materials that we believe are of interest. This includes information from the platforms on which you choose to communicate with us including email, mobile devices and apps, BVT websites and your shopping cart.
BVT Publishing shares your information with third parties to provide you with marketing from us, however we will not share your personal information with third parties for them to market to you on their own behalf.
When do we share your personal information with third parties?
In general, we only share your personal information in order to provide, maintain, or improve our products or services, or respond to legal requests.
- Other Web Sites and Features: We share your personal information with third-party business partners for the purpose of providing services to you. Those business partners will be given limited access to the personal information that is reasonably necessary to deliver the service, and we will require that such third parties follow the same privacy and security practices as BVT Publishing.
- Service providers: We hire other companies to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf and according to our instructions. We provide your personal information to service providers that host our platform data in the cloud, for example, Rackspace.
- Law Enforcement: In the event that BVT Publishing receives a legal demand for customer data from a law enforcement agency, that request will only be honored if:
- The request complies with all laws and clearly establishes the legal need for disclosure.
- The request is related to a specific investigation and specific user accounts are implicated in that investigation.
- Whenever legally permissible, users shall receive notice that their information is being requested.
What privacy controls and choices do we offer you?
You have the right to request access to and/or removal of your personal information. However, please note that if your personal information is required in order to provide you with a service or process a transaction, you may not be able to opt-out without canceling the transaction or service.
In order to request access to or removal of your personal information please submit a support ticket or contact our support team by telephone at 1-800-646-7782.
FERPA Privacy Rights
FERPA provides students with privacy rights and protection for educational personally identifiable information collected and processed on behalf of educational institutions receiving government funding from the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA provides students with rights to obtain from these educational institutions access to their educational records, as well as correction and amendment of their educational records.
What are cookies and how do we use them?
A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer’s hard drive by your Web browser. When you revisit our website, our server recognizes the cookie, giving us information about your prior visits. Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance. If you choose not to receive cookies, you can still use most of the features of our Services.